Friday, May 27, 2011

From Blah to Beauty

You know those days that you wake up and just don't feel good about yourself?  Well, that is how I felt everyday from 6th grade to Junior Year of College.  I was never picked to play kickball in elementary school and I was the one who always was made fun of, or giggled about, behind my back.  Honestly, not the greatest feeling, and that is why my heart goes out to all of the chunky kids in America!!!  Oh obesity :)  However, I was always told by my family that I was 'big boned,' not fat.  That doesn't even make sense!  Haha.  But, nonetheless, I believed it!  I didn't hold any self-confidence and my athletic abilities were suppressed by my appearance and lack of motivation.  Who knew, under all that excess skin, I had legs that would faithfully carry me almost 900 miles in running - that is only with the right Nike Kicks!!  I don't want to write a testimonial for Nike, rather, a testimonial for Seneca Walton.  Sophomore year at Linfield she introduced me to running, eh hem, fast walking!  She would take me out for runs - almost like a dog on a leash - and slow down or stop whenever I grew tired.  What a faithful and loyal owner!  But, all honesty, it taught me not to dread running.  I didn't like to sweat...probably the number one reason I was so attached to swimming.  Sweat scared me because it meant that I was working too hard or that I most likely had Lake Michigan dwelling under each of my arms.  But I started to look past the saltiness and pure grossness of it.  Hmmmm....I was liking this running thing.  After even a half of a mile jog around the campus I came back feeling like the skinniest person alive.  Now, that wasn't true, but I enjoyed that euphoria.  Check out those chunk arms in the first picture...definitely not the arms of the skinniest person alive.  But soon enough I picked up the pace and frequency.  My diet soon paralleled my newfound exercise routine and I began losing a little bit of weight. 

January 2007

Now I am a run-a-holic!!!  I can't stop!  I love the feeling and the experience it brings.  My husband thinks I'm crazy!  I eat super healthy.  For example, today I had a bowl of oatmeal with raisins for breakfast, a whole wheat pita with peanut butter and jelly, an almond chicken salad, steamed brocolli with cheese, and another salad with corn, cheese, carrots, and sunflower seeds on it!  Oh, and 5 bites of cheesecake!!!  Yummmm!!!!  But, yes, most days I will eat salads for 2 out of my 3 meals and not even realize it because I am addicted!  I crave fresh veggies and fruits!  But, hard work pays off!


October 2010
If I can do it...anyone can!

1 comment:

  1. Yay getting in shape! My husband and I are really working on it :) I don't know if you have seen his blog on my fb or not but if not you should check it out! www.nathanalbert.wordpress.com Healthy eating is addicting :) Oh and loving the blog, I read it a lot!

    Megan (Craig's cousin)

    ReplyDelete