Thursday, March 1, 2012

Leap Day


Leap Day Tradition:  Women propose to their men


According to an old Irish legend, or possibly history, St Bridget struck a deal with St Patrick to allow women to propose to men – and not just the other way around – every 4 years. This is believed to have been introduced to balance the traditional roles of men and women in a similar way to how Leap Day balances the calendar.
In some places, Leap Day has been known as “Bachelors’ Day” for the same reason. A man was expected to pay a penalty, such as a gown or money, if he refused a marriage proposal from a woman on Leap Day. In many European countries, especially in the upper classes of society, tradition dictates that any man who refuses a woman's proposal on February 29 has to buy her 12 pairs of gloves. The intention is that the woman can wear the gloves to hide the embarrassment of not having an engagement ring. During the middle ages there were laws governing this tradition.

4 years ago, yesterday, I asked Craig to marry me.  Gutsy?...You ask...you bet!  I was a junior at Linfield, sitting in my roommate, Lesley's, bedroom, talking to Megan Neyens (a mutual friend to Craig and I).  Megan Neyens knows us both all too well, maybe better than we know of each other this far.  She was well aware of my 6 year crush on Craig Haskins.  She was also well aware that he was well oblivious.  Megan and I were catching up over the phone when she mentioned this Irish tradition, for she had just heard it herself!  And she encouraged me to take my chance and propose to Craig!  I thought she was crazy -- I hadn't talked to him in a few years!  But I didn't have to think twice about it.  I found him on MYSPACE (old school!!!) and messaged him.  Here is a transcript of how the proposal and following conversation developed:

Feb 29, 2008

m.e.g.a.n. ♥ says

so i was just informed my megan neyens that today, a leap day, is national girl asks guy to marry her day. so...
will you marry me?!!
please?!
megs :)

From: Craig
Date: Mar 3, 2008 2:18 PM


wow! of course i will marry you! ha ha i am honored that you thought of me to ask!

so whats the date?
indoor/outdoor
colors?
location

Im going to need some specifics! lol

-craig

p.s. how is everything?


Date: Mar 3, 2008 3:07 PM

I have set a date...
July 21st, 2009 (this is so we have a while to plan)
Indoor - you can pick the church, but keep it in WA
Colors - orange and red

You know...I would want no other man, of course you came to my mind!!! However, I feel like at least one date before the wedding would be helpful.
Need anymore info? Let me know!

Everything is going well. I have a pretty low key semester so I do a lot of "killing time." I am heading back to camp this summer so I am pretty excited about that. However, the rumor is 90% of the staff is right out of High School. Shoot! Come visit???

Megs

From: Craig


Date: Mar 3, 2008 6:35 PM

 did you just ask me out on a date? ...cuz i think thats my Job...

Date: Mar 3, 2008 8:16 PM

i've got a backbone and i'm not afraid to use it! lol. plus, i'm not here to wait around for men. so, if i want to get married, then by golly i will!!! ;)

p.s. remember that time i dated spike? now thats funny...

From: Craig

Date: Mar 3, 2008 9:23 PM

WOW some one has been listening to some spice girls! GIRL POWER!
and yes i do remember you and spike that was so random! so your working out at camp, thats great, My Jr. highers had a retreat this past weekend, so i got to do a little couseling, (sp) wow i miss it, maybe ill be able to come for a week or something? God willing,
so i hope all is good. And we should go out some time, it would be fun...

have a good one, craig
 

Date: Mar 4, 2008 1:56 PM


what are you up to these days? work? school? we do need to catch up and hang out but there is a slight problem...i go to school in oregon. but no fear, i will be in WA this summer. it would be fun to go out for a night - i remember the good ol days at camp when you would throw pudding down my shirt ;)

anyways...keep in touch! update me on life.

miss ya
megs

From: Craig
Date: Mar 4, 2008 2:42 PM

 
Just for the record you deserved every single drop of pudding! but any way, I am Interning at East Renton community church, its pretty amazing, i work at joes ( G.I. joes) and i am going to school at bellvue Community college, O and i live in renton, my life is pretty much busy, but fun,


I did know that you go to school in oregon, Lin...hood, or lin file something...right? how is that? what are you studying? i know my friend alex goes their, any way
hope your day is going great.

hey remember when the girls stole our beds? and then you broke the window!



Date: Mar 4, 2008 6:56 PM



You bet I remember that one time....we got you good! Those were the good times. But I think I remember breaking the window due to fear - very valid!

Sounds like life is going good for you my man! What are you going to school for? Ministry?

I go to Linfield, you were SO close. Lol. And every time I see Alex Smith on campus I think of you and want to blurt out "Craig Haskins" to see his reaction but always chicken out. I am studying psychology and sociology and will go get my master's in school counseling. I am actually interning with a school counselor this semester so I figure that it will make or break my future career (if I like it enough).

Megs






And thus began our communication and relationship.  WHO KNEW that from that day, February 29, 2008, 5 1/2 months later we would began dating, 1 year and 7 months later he would be asking ME to marry HIM, and 2 years and 5 months later we would be getting married?!  The answer is: The Lord.  And we appreciate the humorous story to go along with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment