Friday, November 25, 2011

thanksfulness

I think that Jillian Michaels says it best [yes I subscribe to her emails and blog posts]:

"Today [yesterday] is Thanksgiving, and I want you to take a new twist on it this year. Be thankful for YOU, and how far you've come so far in your journey. Give yourself some props! If you're like me, you spend so much time throughout the year struggling with the day-to-day stuff. Then, come holiday time, when you should be celebrating, we're so tired we can barely get through the day! Listen, you know how much I love pushing you guys to the max, but the whole reason I do what I do is so that people can realize their full potential and be the best that they can possibly be.

So I'm going to keep this holiday note short and sweet (well, to the point at least). Today, and for these next few hectic weeks, look past the calories and exercise for once and focus on the real stuff. This is your life...your life! How far are you really going to go with an amazing body but zero confidence? Start working on the attitude to match the effort you're putting into this."

Well said.  If I am the fittest person in the world (HA!) but don't have confidence, I am, well, not enjoying the hard work and effort I put in at the gym everyday.  AND I may not be too fun to be around.  Therefore, the body ain't everything and being thankful for ME is a concept hard to grasp sometimes.  Thank you Jillian Michaels.  But I am really trying to enjoy this holiday season...treats and all...without shame and disgust as I usually spend most holidays.  But balance is important.

We had ourselves an amazing Thanksgiving...filled with four friends, football, fun, food, and frost.  I was hoping for some snow but that isn't scheduled until this weekend.  Some of our closest friends came over to share in the special holiday.  Mayhem only broke lose when we discovered the turkey had been in the oven for two hours and it hadn't been on.  **Correction**  The oven had been on, the timer was set, but low and behold, when the timer goes off the oven turns to 'warm' so that the food won't burn.  Ingenious invention, but it would have been a good question to ask before we started house sitting.  So, in our defense, we were operating a completely updated version of an "oven" that wasn't even ours.  But everyone was fed and happy by 7 pm...before the women turned nasty towards the men...well...nastier.

A short list for what I am thankful for:
  • my husband and the marriage we have
  • our one bedroom apartment
  • craig's amazing education he is receiving
  • our family who loves and supports us
  • the church we have found in spokane
  • our churches we still hold tight to back home
  • our jobs
  • the small amount of time we do get to spend with each other
  • our friends near and far
  • coffee :]
  • the ability to run!
Happy Thanksgiving
Love, The Haskins

No comments:

Post a Comment