Sunday, November 20, 2011

Out of Town-Bound

Sometimes I wish I had a transporter machine that would instantly transport me to Federal Way, McMinnville, and back within the hour or day.  Both places hold so much meaning to me and encompass a lot of my history.  They have been places of growth, heartache, tears, and treasures...always with bittersweet reunions.  I have had the privilege of living in a lot of different places.  As a towheaded youngster I lived in Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, and Federal Way.  From there I went on to spend my summers in Carnation, some of my school weeks in Olympia, and family visits to Ohio and Kentucky.  And as I approached college I chose to spend four solid years in McMinnville.  Now we reside in Spokane.  They are all places of uniqueness with qualities that attract visits back, but Federal Way and McMinnville hold so dear to my heart.

Last weekend Craig and I drove 800 miles EXACTLY to McMinnville, Oregon to visit friends and family and to cheer on the wildcat football team!  It had been two years since I had been down there for a visit.  The Linfield campus looked the same, the trees were still in full bloom, and the atmosphere still felt like home.  Seneca and Jordan drove over to go the the game with us and Cassie met up with us afterward for Thai Food and Frozen Yogurt!  While wandering through town I ran in to the family I used to nanny for...their two little girls, Lila and Opal!  And got to visit with one of the ladies I had worked with in the Registrars Office all four years.  Sunday, Colleen drove over from Salem for a quick coffee date and a stroll through the campus.  It reminded me of the times we used to have "pre husbands."  We found our goofy sides and pretended like we still lived 30 minutes away from each other.






Linfield was a place where I spread my wings a bit...a place where I experimented, failed, experimented, succeeded, experimented, graduated!!!  I met my bestest of best friends there (not including my husband) and I felt free to be myself...something I never felt able to do in High School.  Overall, it was a warming feeling to be back down there for a weekend!  

And today I just returned from a visit to Federal Way!  Ah, so sweet of a ghetto place and how it still holds sentimental value despite the shootings, homicides, vandalism, breaks ins, loitering, littering,  j-walking, etc.!!!  Moms and Pops flew me home so that I could spend some quality time with a quality friend...and it was QUALITY!  It is encouraging to have friends that I can go without seeing for a year or two at a time and then pick up where we left off.  Let's be honest.  I am lonely here in Spokane.  I am not alone, just lonely.  I lack the deep, rich, friendships that reside in Federal Way.  I thrive off of one-on-one's, coffee dates, and time well spent.  Here in Spokane I work, workout, eat (sometimes), sleep, and then do it all over again!  But when I lived at home with my Mom I made time for so much more!  And whenever I pop over on that side of the state for a visit I am reminded of what I long for.  It hurts sometimes to think about.  

I got to visit with some of my closest friends this weekend!  And I also got to spend precious time with Mom, Dad, and Molly!  Craig and my prayer is that we can find that here in Spokane.  But it was nice to have the reminder that there ARE people who genuinely love and cherish their friendship with me...they just live across state...or across Earth!

Unfortunately, no pictures were taken this weekend.  I was too wrapped up in heart-to-hearts to pause for a quick cheesy pix.  OH WAIT!  I did take three!  Here they are...


What I wore on Friday...
I had to send a pic to Molly to make sure it was okay I borrow her shirt...
She of course said I could!



My furry husband for the weekend...



My Sister Michelle Rock and I at the BIRD...



No comments:

Post a Comment