Friday, August 29, 2014

Transparency Through Journals

August 23, 2014

The last eight days have been a whirlwind. With ups and downs, I am still feeling sad about being back in Spokane. For the first time I felt a connection to my Mom – a connection that was hard to leave in Federal Way.

It was an interesting trip over to the west side on Friday. Our patience was tested, my ED was screaming at me, and we were trying to stay calm. Two flat tires, a tow truck, a jump for our dead battery, Les Schwab for a new tire, traffic, a missed appointment in Mt. Vernon, and a lot of confusion at the vet was enough to drain us. I was already anxious about the trip home and what all it was going to entail, but I had no idea the testing of my faith in getting there.

Surprisingly, the trip was better than I had anticipated! I thoroughly enjoyed going through Mom’s stuff and tossing out “junk” that had no meaning. It was a cleansing feeling! However, the sentimental memories were harder to pass by quickly. Thinking of our childhood, reminiscing over good times shared, and realizing her life was gone was hard. I spent over 10 hours going through boxes in the garage of my childhood things. I began to feel guilty for tossing out so much stuff, like I was disrespecting her in a way. Eventually, I detached emotionally in order to get more done.

The house resembled a skeleton. Family pictures and art of the wall, her champagne red walls painted over, leaving just the bare bones. It was just a house. This was the house I grew up in, but now it sits as just a house. I didn’t find myself getting emotional, which I had fully expected. Rather, I enjoyed purging through stuff and spending time with my Aunt and sister. I miss that connection and that feeling of physical closeness with them and my Mom’s belongings.

Other things I did: I signed her car over to me, surrendered our German Shepard, got a new puppy, met my friend’s new little baby, had a thanksgiving dinner in August (and kept it down), only worked out once, didn’t weight myself, followed my meal plan, had a slice of Costco pizza, and met with Mom’s hospice nurse to find closure from the morning of May 12th.

The trip home was bittersweet. With Petey as my co-pilot, I felt sad driving away. For the first time I wasn’t excited about returning to Spokane or programming. Thursday, my first day back at EP was a challenge. I really struggled being there because I really missed my Aunt and being around my Mom’s house. It was almost as if I were going through withdrawals. The emotions from the trip caught up with me and I was flooded with sadness. Attempting to keep the tears in, I went about the day, until I was triggered. Seeing the EMT come and take a client off in a stretcher paralyzed me. I was in crisis mode and lost control of my emotions and even my body to some extent. I ate snack. I purged. I got scared and didn’t know what to do. What had happened?! How did I let ED sneak up on me so quickly?! It was a long day that didn’t end well. It just pains me that Mom is STILL gone, that I am STILL in mourning, that it is STILL this painful, and that I am STILL fighting ED daily!!!!

August 27, 2014

Can I just start by saying Mac and Cheeses & Fried Chicken again for lunch?!?! Seriously?! Ugh!

This week has begun with a strength that I haven’t had any other week. I’ve now been following my meal plan for 16 consecutive days and feel successful in it. It’s a success I’m hanging onto right now. I have been a bit happier, but on the flip side experiencing the extremes when I am sad. Emotions have been a little bit easier to express but still a challenge when they are LARGE emotions. I’ve spoken up in groups when I am struggling and allowed the members to support me.

A few successes from the week: I bagged up another full bag of trigger clothes (clothes from when I was really sick and small) of mine that I am going to donate, got pants that are two sizes bigger than my smallest size to wear that are comfortable and that look good on me, have attempted to look at my body objectively and without judgment, listening to my body as far as when to work out and when to take a break, attempting to figure out and listen to my hunger cues in order to kick my metabolism into gear, practice diffusion from thoughts and acceptance of my feelings rather than fighting them, and speaking up today and naming the ED thoughts that snuck up on me in group today.

I can’t say I am completely confident in myself yet. I remember Krista asking me one of my first days, “what are your strengths/positive qualities?” and all I could answer was “running.” I didn’t know aside from that what I was good at. She responded by saying, “we will work on that and you will figure that out.” Well, I don’t feel like I have figured that out and still feel inadequate in most all areas of life. This is something I really want to work on before I drop down because I need the confidence in myself to succeed. I don’t know what I am good at other than making people laugh and working out. It bothers me that I haven’t come to grips with what other qualities are yet. I’m stuck in that area.

As far as my sadness, it has been consumed by Monique’s departure. My last session with her on Tuesday morning was incredible and extremely powerful. I felt I could be honest, real, and raw with her, as well as able to express my gratitude and love for her as a person and a therapist. Program is going to be hard without her but she challenged me to consider “flying,” feeling that her departure is a good transition time for me to drop down. I’ve looked ahead and decided that September 19th will most likely be my last day in IOP and will go from there. I may relapse, I may fall, but I need to try and fly. I can’t be handicapped by the comfortable structure and routine. However, as I continue to process the new events surrounding my Mom’s death and the intense emotions that come with it, it has been a Godsend to have programming in order to keep me stable and healthy. I’m grateful for this week because it has really opened my eyes to “life after programming.” I know I will still have the support of Krista and Michelle, so what is there to be fearful of? ED?

August 29, 2014

The past two days ED has been screaming at me to return. His voice is loud and his words are smooth. They make perfect sense at times.

I’m extremely sad and feel lost. I hate goodbyes and yesterday I had to say one of the hardest goodbyes I’ve ever had to say. I lost someone close to me, someone I had chosen to let in, to trust, and to allow to love on me. The anticipation of Monique’s goodbye was almost as hard as the 17-month journey of anticipating my Mom’s goodbye. The pain is real and raw once again.

Because of my vulnerable state, ED thinks he can sneak in. When life seems out of my control, ED tempts me with “I know how you can take some control back.” I’ve been triggered almost hourly and am exhausted from the flooding of a fast heartbeat. I’m attempting to let myself BE for once. This is new and somewhat uncomfortable. I’m allowing myself to feel the sadness and mourning all over again and not have to do anything about it. I feel the urge to act on such strong emotions. To run, to cut, even to purge again. How would that benefit me though? Temporarily it may be soothing.

I let myself cry yesterday…cry hard. In 4:30 process group I sat there and cried. In dinner, I expressed the overwhelming sense of grief I had for my Mom’s loss and the recent goodbye to Monique. I didn’t want to eat. I had to eat. Brea was my support person and she struggled through the dinner too. Michelle came behind us, talked to us a bit about how we were feeling and told us to support each other through it. Brea and I looked at each other, gave a wink, and shoved the food into our mouths…high fiving under the table when we both finished. It was a proud moment for us and I am so grateful to see the realistic presentation of someone who’s left treatment (and still struggling). It made me feel validated in my fears of leaving program. I am so grateful Brea and I reconnected. I think it is a friendship that will flourish!

I want to come out of this goodbye stronger and closer to recovery. I am hopeful but still hold some doubt. I feel like I’m standing on a fence and can see recovery more clearly but if I turn around can still see ED on the other side. I want to leap but scared shitless. I leave for Sunriver today for the next 5 days and could not be MORE excited for a MUCH needed vacation. Craig and I have done so much traveling over the past year but for weddings, memorials, visiting Mom, etc. We have not had a vacation in a long time and this is way overdue. I pray for strength to continue my meal plan, the ability to relax and rejuvenate, as well as the ability to just enjoy the present moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment