Monday, March 17, 2014

Post from the Past

Happy St. Patty's Day -

Instead of writing a brand new post at 4:43am....I thought I'd dig one up from 3 years ago!!! Enjoy :]

"I have never been one to celebrate this mysterious holiday (what are people even celebrating - the color green?!) but what I remember most from growing up is the breakfasts my sister and I would wake up to.  My Mom would make the weirdest stuff green - like bananas!  I chose to continue on the tradition this morning...

One thing I wish people would have told me before I got married was that it will be time to begin new traditions.  [Maybe that should be my #6 on my list in the previous blog].  We got married in July and had to wait alllllll the way until Thanksgiving to realize holidays were going to be a bit different.  We weren't able to make it home, which was a huge wake up call.  "What!  We can't go home!  It won't feel like Thanksgiving then!"  I came to realize that this feeling is a choice.  I could chose to dwell in past turkey day traditions or strike a pose and make my own (I mean...our own!).  It then came time for Christmas.  If Thanksgiving wasn't a slap in the face this holiday sure was.  Between our 4 combined jobs we were only able to get 72 hours off.  We traveled home, raced around like crazy people, and traveled back all before the weekend ended (did we even remember what the holiday was all about?)  I would lie in bed saddened that we weren't reading Christmas Bible stories together like Molly and I had growing up or that we didn't have an advent calendar to daily open up and find chocolates.  I found myself getting really upset at the holiday and Craig.  He tried so diligently to help me relive those traditions and it wasn't until after the holiday season that I came to realize we had the opportunity to start our own.  We have to find the "Haskins Way" of doing things.  It is exciting to think about our future children and to know we have the power in traditions - creating memorable and spiritual times for them around holidays, birthdays, etc.  Did I make green eggs and milk for Craig because my Mom did?  Yes!  But that is one I want to hang on to!!

Now go drink some green beer, er, I mean soda pop!!!"

Be encouraged today and remember...
"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still"
Exodus 14:14

No comments:

Post a Comment