Sunday, February 15, 2015

Day after Valentine's Day

The day after Valentine's Day is more special to me than the day itself. I used to loathe the 14th because I saw it as the National Day of Singlehood Awareness. I remember wanting a Valentine's date year after year after year after year after year. I wanted a Prince Charming to sweep me off my feet and surprise me with what was supposed to be the most amazing day/event of the year. These were fairytale like thoughts...not realistic...but that was all I knew. I craved love and unconditional support from one other person. I thought I needed to not be alone. Well, God had other plans. He made me wait for what felt like an eternity. His timing though has always been better than mine. I had to solely rely on Him before He brought someone else into my life.

Craig and I met as 15 year olds in 2002. We worked on high school staff together at Camp Gilead for 11 weeks that summer and another 11 weeks during summer of 2003. Looking back I feel lucky. Who gets to spend 22 uninterrupted weeks with each other in a non sinful cohabitating way?! High schoolers who work at summer camp...that's who. But the humorous thing is that we didn't exactly get along. It was more of a brother/sister, rivalry type friendship. He threw pudding cups at me in the kitchen when I was yapping too much at him for not doing his job (doesn't that sound like me?), he would spray me with water to try and lighten me up, make fun of the silly things I would say in seriousness, and overall just make my life a little bit more interesting. I knew I loved him though. A mad one-way crush started that summer of 2002 and eventually turned into a two-way love story in 2008 when he asked me if we could start dating. 

To me, this is more of a story than any one day of the year dedicated to "love." For the four Valentine's we have now spent with each other, married, it's usually every other day or the day after that means more. The everyday love. The love through hard days, tough times, and bad attitudes. 

Thank you Craig for choosing me and for sticking with me through every obstacle. Life has been one giant obstacle course but we are getting through it together...hand in hand! ❤️❤️

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet - I like how you describe every day love. And to think I was there summer 2002 with you two at Camp Gilead and never even noticed you were falling in love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's crazy to think about! You were there that summer! And well we weren't exactly falling in love until a few years later...

      Delete